Skip to main content

                     Prof. John Howe's eOffice



Degrees and Certificates

Who do I ask?




Q:  How do I enroll in the college?

A: College registration information is available at (714) 564-6015 or by visiting the Santa Ana College campus at 1530 W. 17th Street in Santa Ana.

Q:  The class I want is "closed" or "full."  How to I get admitted?

A:  Once a class has reached its enrollment limit or the semester has begun, the only way you can get into the class is with the permission of the instructor.  This can be done by locating the instructor and have him or her sign an "Add Card" (available at the Admissions Office).  If the instructor is not available, he or she may have given permission to the Dean of Business to sign the add card.  Check with the Business Division Office (A-103) to help find the instructor or get the needed signature.  If the class has reached its enrollment limit, you might find instructors reluctant to add you until the first class meeting due to the wait list (see next question).  I would always suggest that you attend the first class meeting.

Q:  I tried to enroll in a class and was put on the "Wait List."  What does that mean?

A:  Once a class is filled, your are given an opportunity to be on a "wait list."  This is your priority number for class admittance if there are people who drop or don't show up for the first class.  If there are empty seats on the first class meeting, the instructor may add students based on the wait list priority.  This allows for the first who were turned down for entry are the first to be allowed admittance if room becomes available.

Q:  What do I do if my class is cancelled?

A:  When a class is cancelled prior to the first class meeting, you should contact the Department Chair of your major to find a suitable substitute.  If the class is cancelled after the first class meeting, the instructor should be able to guide you as to alternative courses you may take.  If he or she is unable to assist you, please contact the Department Chair as soon as possible.  See "Who do I ask?" for the name and contact information of the appropriate Department Chair.

Q:  How do I drop a class?

A:  During the first two weeks of each semester, you need to go through a formal process for all adds and drops.  To add a course, you must have the signature of the instructor (or someone who has the permission of the instructor to admit you to the class) on an "Add/Drop Card" (blue with carbon copy and available at the Admissions Office).  To drop a class, the process is easier.  You do not need the signature of the instructor, even though it would be considerate to let the instructor know you will no longer be attending.  If you decide to drop a class after the second week of the semester, it is very wise to go to Admissions and fill out a drop card.  This will alert your instructor that you are no longer planning to attend the class.  If you do not drop the class and just quit attending, the chances are very good that you will be retained on your instructors records.  Once the 12th week of the semester passes, neither you nor the instructor can drop you from the class.  At the end of the semester, the instructor will be forced to assign you the grade you have earned.  This usually means you will be assigned an "F" for the course.  Remember: you are totally responsible for dropping a class.  Do not assume that the instructor will drop you for non attendance. Getting your grade changed is solely at the discretion of the instructor.

Q:  I think I've met all of the requirements for a degree or certificate.  Now what do I do?

A:  First you need to meet with the Department Chair to make sure that everything is as you think.  You need to bring with you a list of all your previous classes, what degree or certificate you are applying for, and the year of the college catalog you want to apply.  You may use the catalog of the year you started taking classes at SAC, or the catalog of the year you plan to get your certificate or degree.  If you plan to get a degree (which means you are taking all your general education requirements) it is highly recommended that you also meet with the Business Division counselor.

Q:  Should I get a degree or a certificate?  Which is best for me?

A:  If you are unsure of what direction you should go, you need to talk to the Department Chair of your major.  A visit with the Business Division Counselor would also be extremely beneficial.  These names and how to contact them are available under "Who Do I Ask."

Q:  What if the required class for the degree or certificate is not offered?

A:  This is not an uncommon problem.  Many times the enrollment in some classes is too small to allow it to be offered, even though the material covered is an integral part of the knowledge and skills necessary to be certified competent in the subject area by the faculty.  Most degree and certificate programs are flexible and change due to the needs of the job market or society.  If you plan to get you degree or certificate within the next two semesters, and you find the class is not offered, contact the Department Chair of your major.  The Chair knows if the class will be offered and, if it will not be offered, what classes may be substituted.  These names and how to contact them are available under "Who do I ask."  Class waiver and substitution forms are available at the Admissions Office.

Q:  May I substitute classes taken at other colleges?

A:  The answer is "yes" if: 1) the class was taken at an accredited college; 2) the Department Chair of you major agrees that the class is essentially the same as that required in the major; and 3) you have taken, or will complete, at least 12 units in your major at SAC.  When you meet with your Department Chair, bring transcripts from the other college(s) and the course descriptions from their catalog(s).  Classes taken outside the United States require other certification and you should meet with the Business Division Counselor.  Class waiver and substitution forms are available at the Admissions Office.

Q:  Can I avoid taking a required class if I feel that I already know the material?

A:  If you feel that taking a class will be a waste of your time because you already have the knowledge or skills, then I suggest you make an appointment with the Department Chair of your major.  He or she will assess your knowledge and suggest a course of action.  The most common method is that of challenging the course by doing a "Credit by Examination."  If you choose this option, you must meet with the Department Chair of your major.  These names and how to contact them are available under "Who do I ask."  Credit by Examination forms are available at the Admissions Office.


Q:  Who do I ask about Associate Degree and Certificate requirements?

A:  Associate Degree requirements involve three levels of input:  the Department Chair of your major, The Business Division Counselor who guides you through the General Education requirements, and the Graduation Office.  Certificates do not require General Education classes and therefore only involve the Department Chair (or the Division Counselor working with the Department Chair) and the Graduation Office.

Business Division Counselors:
      Dennis Sadler
      Telephone: (714) 564-6108

Graduation Office:
      Telephone: (714) 564-6052

Department Chairs:
      Management, Marketing, International Business, and PSI Programs
          John Howe
          Telephone: (714) 564-6753
          Office: A-107-8

      Business Applications Programs
          Carol Lehrer
          Telephone:  (714) 564-6773
          Office:  A-107-4

     Computer Science Programs
          James Hester
          Telephone:  (714)  564-6765
          Office:  A-107-2

     Accounting and Business Administration Programs
          Jinhee Trone
          Telephone:  (714) 564-6762
          Office:  A-107-9

     Engineering Programs
          Susan Sherod
          Telephone:  (714) 564-6787
          Office:  A-107-12

     Paralegal Programs
          Christine DeBoer
          Telephone:  (714) 564-6813
          Office:  A-107-13


Q:  How do I contact my instructor?

A:  The course overview that your instructor gave you at the beginning of class should have information on how to contact him or her.  If this information is not available, contact the Business Division Office at (714) 564-6750 and ask for contact information or the instructor's office hours.  For faculty who do not have an office or voicemail, you may leave a message.


Q:  What do I do if I am having a problem with my instructor?

A:  The very first thing you should do is to try approaching you instructor with your problem.  I realize this might be very difficult if you fear it will result in a poor grade.  If you feel uncomfortable, then I would suggest talking to the Department Chair of your major (See "Who do I ask?").  You also have the option of contacting the Business Division Dean, Hilda Roberts.  She is available by appointment at (714) 564-6750.  Please do not just "let it go" and suffer through.  The only way we can be sure that we are offering the best instruction is if we get honest feedback.  All discussions with Department Chairs and the Division Dean are strictly confidential - your identity will not be compromised!

Q:  I received a grade I don't think I deserved.  What can I do?

A:  The college has a very specific procedure to handle grade complaints.  You first must talk with the instructor to determine whether the grade was an error or actually what the instructor believed you earned.  If you do not agree with the instructor's decision,  your next step is to submit a Grade Complaint Form (available at the Admissions Office) with your complaint detailed in writing.  It then goes to the instructor for his or her written response.  The paperwork is then forwarded to the Division Dean. The Dean will discuss the grade complaint with the instructor and you before making a decision.  The one thing that is important to remember through this process is that the Dean can only recommend a grade change if 1) the instructor has made an error (which would have been fixed with your initial appeal to the instructor) or, 2) you have been treated differently than any of the other students (this requires an additional process that requires you to prove that you were treated "differently" that other class members).  If the instructor has decided that the grade assigned is the grade that you earned, and all students were held to the same standard, the grade will stand.  The Dean can present your case, but cannot change the grade unless you have evidence of error or treatment different from other class members.

Q:  What is the best way to say nice things about an instructor?

A:  The best way is to say it directly to the instructor.  A simple "thank you" is more appreciated than you think.  If you want to let others know how you feel, I would suggest that you put you feelings in writing to the Business Division Dean: Hilda Roberts, 1530 W. 17th Street, Santa Ana, CA, 92706.  You can personally deliver it to her office at A-103.  Positive feedback is very important and appreciated by all of us trying to provide you with the best possible education.  If you like something - tell us.  Thank you!

Q:  Do the student evaluations we do about our instructor really mean anything?

A:  YES.  This is the best form of feedback that your instructor can receive.  It will allow him or her to improve or change methods of instruction.  Without feedback, we all have no idea if we are going in the right direction.  This is not a punitive process, but one of how to do our job better.  If you are not honest with your evaluations and comments, we do not know how best to improve.  We (the faculty) take these evaluations very seriously.  If you are concerned about you privacy, your comments can in no way be traced back to you by the instructor (nor would an instructor want to know - believe it or not).  We want to do the best job possible.  You are our customer, and only you know if we are delivering out product as advertised.  Let us know!






Bookmark this page:   RCampus RCampus   twit this twitter   delicious   digg Digg   facebook Facebook  

my homeRSCCD | SAC