Debrief- identify omissions
1.Identifies why the patient is prescribed the medication. 2.Pharmacological class/action reason for medication
Washes hands following CDC hand hygiene guidelines
3. SQ Equipment- proper needle size and gauge selected.
4. Gauze Pad
1. Medication checked three times prior to giving.
1. The learner introduces self to patient and provides an explanation of the procedure. The learner discusses effects and adverse effects of the medication with the patient.
2. Upper arm
1. Confirm last injection site
2. Chose different injection site from last injection
3.Cleanse one chosen injection site in circular motion in a upward motion.
4. Allow to dry
4. Inject at a 45-90 degree angle. Depending on needle size selection (ie. 5/8 inch 45 degrees:1/2 inch 90 degrees)
3. Pinch area of injection of thin person to avoid IM injection.
4. Inject 1ml /Sec.
5.. Wait 10 seconds.
6. Remove syringe a the same angle as inserted.
1. Gloves used to administer medication.
2. Syringe plunger is pulled back to ensure needle isn't in blood vessel.
3. If blood return, stop and restart entire procedure.
2. Needle not recapped.
3. Safety cap gauged.
4.Sharps disposal of used syringe
Correctly documents the following:
1. injection site
2. injection date and time
3. Medication name
4. Medication dose
1. Stay with patient
2. Tell patient she must stay for 15 minutes to observe and reactions unusual reactions
3. Check the injection site for induration and redness
4. If any unusual reactions occur notify the provider
5. Note observation of the injection site in record