As members of American democracy and proud American citizens, we can only condemn imperialism and the humanitarian travesty it has caused. We know that:
It's only a matter of time before American pride and haughtiness leads to the death of American soldiers.
We have seen that in the summer of 1898, Americans died for the "noble" cause of Cuban liberation. The results of the Spanish-American War?
1) four month duration
2) causalities reaching 4,108
3) over 380 soliders killed in action
4) Congress passed the Teller Amendment prior to the war, promising Cuban independence, BUT the "honorable" USA also passed the Platt Amendment, forcing a peace treaty on Cuba which prohibited it from signing treaties with other nations or contracting a public debt. If the United States wants to spread democracy and freedom, why does it suffocate the national sovereignty of Cuba?
It's only a matter of time before American ignorance creates the ideological foundation for the slaughter of innocent Filipinos.
1) 4,234 dead American soliders and 2,818 wounded soldiers wounded in battle.
2) In the Philippines there 20,000 military dead and 200,000 civilian dead. (approximate numbers). Some historians place the numbers of civilian dead at 500,000 or higher.
It's only a matter of time before the storm clouds of arrogance will blind America and create an untamable beast who only listens to its own roar.
”If we are to be a really great people we must strive in good faith to play a great part in the world.”
”I preach to you then, my countrymen, that our country calls not for the life of ease but for the life of strenuous endeavor”
”We shall ultimately win the goal of true national greatness” Teddy Roosevelt
It's only a matter of time before the government disregards the voice of the people and acts of its own accord.
”We deny that the obligation of all citizens to support their government in times of grave National peril applies to the present situation. If an administration may with impunity ignore the issues on which it was chosen, deliberately creating a condition of war anywhere on the face of the globe…representative government itself is imperiled.” Anti-Imperialist League